Polyester dresses are go-to wardrobe items because they are wrinkle-free, easy to wear and seasonless. Add to that the fact that polyester’s durable and synthetic fibers are easy to clean at home. To restore the beauty of your polyester frocks – and to keep them free from shrinking or stretching – get familiar with a system to extend the life of your garments.
1 Pretreat any stains before washing. Lay the soiled garments flat on a large white towel. Dab the stain with the tip of a clean white towel dipped in the stain remover. Blot the stain gently to lift the dirt.
2 Set the washing machine controls to a warm wash and a cool rinse cycle. Add laundry detergent to the wash.
3 Turn the dresses inside out before placing them in the washing machine. To prevent twisting and tearing of the dresses, put the dresses in the washing machine away from the agitator, if possible.
4 Add liquid fabric softener to the rinse cycle to make the polyester fabric soft and help reduce static cling.
5 Tumble the dresses in a dryer on a low heat, permanent press setting to prevent shrinking. Remove the garments from the dryer immediately to prevent wrinkles. Hang them on padded hangers.
Items you will need
- Laundry detergent
- Liquid fabric softener
- Liquid stain remover
- Large and small white towels
- Padded hangers
- If you use a detergent that contains fabric softeners, do not add extra softener to the wash cycle.
- Always blot stains with a white cloth to avoid transferring dye to the item you are treating.
- Ohio State University: Quick 'n Easy Stain Removal
- Real Simple: Do I Really Need to Dry-Clean This?
- Fabrics: Fabric Identification
- Good Housekeeping: The Complete Household Handbook; Editors From Good Housekeeping
- Andrew Olney/Photodisc/Getty Images