With fall comes a bounty of warm colors that make the landscape blaze with the reds and oranges of the season. Capture the beauty of the season and bring fall into your home with a floral basket. An autumnal basket brightens any space and looks festive on your table. Try your hand at creating your own fresh arrangement, customized entirely to your tastes and whichever fall occasion you are enjoying from football tailgating to Thanksgiving. Making your own arrangement may require a bit of patience, but you will be rewarded with an eye-catching, distinctive fall basket.
1. Prep your basket
1 Prepare the basket by lining the inside with plastic. Load the glue stick in the glue gun and allow to heat for few minutes. While it's heating, cut the plastic so it will completely cover the inside of the basket. When the glue is hot, carefully apply the glue to the edges of the plastic. Press the plastic against the basket, folding as necessary, to set in place. You may need to complete this process in small sections to prevent the glue from cooling before you can attach it to the basket.
2. Prep your basket
2 Cut the florist foam so it will fit inside the basket with about 1 inch of the foam showing above the basket's brim. In a bucket, mix plant food in water as per instructions on the food package and soak the florist foam in the mixture. Put the soaked foam into the basket. It should fit snugly inside.
3. Prep your basket
3 Under running water, use scissors to clip at least 1 inch off the bottom of your flower stems at an angle. Immediately place the flowers in water until you are ready to work with each stem.
4. Prep your basket
4 Remove any lower leaves that would otherwise be pushed into the foam. Cut pieces of floral wire equal to the lengths of each stem. Wrap wire around each stem, starting right beneath the flower and continuing all the way down the stem. Secure the wire beneath the bloom with a small piece of florist tape.
5. Prep your basket
5 When all of the stems are wired and taped in place, begin arranging the flowers. Begin by inserting the largest flowers into the foam toward the center of the basket. Work your way outward, moving onto the smaller flowers. Turn the basket as you go and add flowers evenly to all sides.
6. Prep your basket
6 Once all of the flowers have been added, fill in any spaces between flowers with greens.
7. Prep your basket
7 Finish off the basket by tying a festive fall ribbon around the basket, complete with a bow, and securing it with a drop of hot glue.
Items you will need
- Sheet of plastic tarp larger than the basket
- Hot glue stick
- Hot glue gun
- Florist foam
- Bucket of water
- Plant food
- Fresh fall flowers such as sunflowers and mums
- Floral wire
- Florist tape
- Greens such as leather ferns or lily grass
- Rotate the arrangement as you work so it looks full and lush from all sides.
- Choose a ribbon color or pattern that complements the flowers in your arrangement.
- The amount of flowers needed varies according to the size of the basket. A smaller basket needs less flowers, while a larger basket needs more. Be prepared by having more flowers on hand than you think you'll need.
- Fall arrangements look lovely with mums and sunflowers. If these aren't available look for flowers with classic fall colors -- reds, oranges and yellows.
- If desired, add a few branches with changing leaves to your arrangement in place of some of the greenery. Choose branches in proportion to your arrangement or trim them to fit.
- Florist tape and wire makes this arrangement much easier to and keeps the flowers from looking sloppy.
- Use caution when cutting the stems with scissors.
- Use caution when working with the hot glue gun.
- Comstock/Comstock/Getty Images