If you are the parent of a teen girl, you are probably overwhelmed wondering how exactly to raise her in order to keep her happy while allowing her to thrive, now and once she leaves your home. According to Chad Simmons, writing for ParentExpress.net, you as a parent can help cultivate the skills your teen needs in order to deal with the challenging choices she will face on a daily basis. There are a few essential things that your teen girl needs to know in order to grow into the healthiest woman she can be.
1. She Is Beautiful
Letting your teen girl know she is beautiful regardless of what the media defines as beautiful is important for her confidence. Anita Gurian, clinical assistant professor of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at the NYU School of Medicine, reports in The New York University Child Study Center that a teen girl with a high self-esteem will feel secure about herself regardless of how intelligent or successful others say she is. She then will have the power to express her emotions, care for the well-being of others and make wise choices in life.
2. Your Rules Are Predictable
When your teen girl knows that the rules in your household are predictable, she will have a greater sense of security in her life. Amy Bobrow, clinical psychologist and professor in the Child Study Center at New York University School of Medicine, emphasizes on WebMD.com the importance of deciding rules and consequences for specific actions in advance. Following through with these consequences will encourage order and predictability. Furthermore, according to The 4-H Study of Positive Youth Development, doing what you say you will do -- following through with your promises -- will cause your teen to do the same.
3. You Are Always Available to Talk
When your teen girl knows you are always available to talk, she will feel good knowing she can trust you and confide in you about any difficulty she may be facing. The Association for Natural Psychology reports that successful parents keep the lines of communication open with their adolescents and are reasonable and loving when it comes to the mistakes their children make.
4. She Can Be Herself
When you teen girl knows she is free to be herself, the expectation that she needs to behave just like you did at her age or in the exact way you wish she did is lifted off of her shoulders. Furthermore, it is important to allow your teen a degree of self-expression, and give her some leeway when it comes to the way she styles her hair or the type of fashion she prefers.
- Parent Express: Raising Happy, Healthy Teens: Prevention Tips for Parents
- WebMD: Parenting Teenagers: 10 Parenting Tips for Raising Teenagers
- NYU Child Study Center: How to Raise Girls with Healthy Self-Esteem
- Association for Natural Psychology: Adolescence and Teen Psychology
- MayoClinic: Parenting Skills: Tips for Raising Teens
- The 4-H Study of Positive Youth Development: 10 Tips for Raising Healthier, Happier Teens
- Teenology: The Art of Raising Great Teenagers; Jim Burns
- Raising Teens in the 21st Century; James G. Wellborn
- Creatas Images/Creatas/Getty Images