Toddlers exploring the house know no limits. Closets that feature sliding doors are no match for a curious and energetic toddler with big ideas. Although sliding doors are a bit different to childproof, it is possible to keep a little person from gaining access to the closet. Outsmart your child with a special lock designed to prevent sliding doors from opening. When you keep the doors closed, you also prevent nasty finger pinches.
1 Mount the sliding door lock near the top of the inner closet door -- the door that slides behind the other door. The door lock has adhesive on the backside so it attaches firmly to the closet door without hardware or tools. The lock needs to rest snugly against the outer closet door to keep both doors from moving when it's engaged.
2 Press down on the two wings of the lock to make sure you can open the closet. The lock will disengage and either closet door will glide effortlessly along the track to open the closet. Pull the door back along the track into the closed position to close the closet. The wings of the lock will pop out again as soon as you close the closet completely.
3 Slide either door along the track without pressing the wings of the lock flat, to check that the lock is doing its job. The raised wings should keep the closet doors from moving from either direction.
Items you will need
- Sliding door lock
- The space between the two closet doors should be between 1/2 inch and 1 inch, according to the specifications of your lock.
- Position the height of the closet door lock at a comfortable height where you can reach it easily but where it will be out of reach of your short toddler.
- Watch a toddler constantly to avoid mischief and normal exploration. Little ones are unpredictable and unable to recognize a dangerous idea when they get one. This means vigilant supervision to keep toddlers safe. A sliding closet door can seem like engaging entertainment to a child until it slides shut on tender fingers.
- Mommy Can Do It: A Do-It-Herself Guide to Baby-Proofing; Kelly A Smith
- More Ideas for Great Decorating; Scott Atkinson
- OneStepAhead: Sliding Closet Door Lock 2-Pack
- Kraig Scarbinsky/Digital Vision/Getty Images