A white top and jeans are all you need to create a base for many fashionable outfits. Because white is a neutral shade and because white tops come in many silhouettes, they'll work with any type of jeans. The trick is to pair the right top with the right pair of jeans.
1. Voluminous Top + Skinny Jeans
Skinny jeans are fun and trendy. Keep your proportions in check by pairing your skinnies with a voluminous white top -- tunics work well here. Your white top works with any denim wash; however, since skinny jeans tend to widen your frame, if you're looking to slim down, darker washes are your best bet. Wear your flowy top hanging free, or tuck and belt it to create more shape.
2. White Blouse + Jean Shorts
Make a blouse a bit sexier by pairing it with jean shorts. Polished, hemmed shorts and cut-off shorts both work, as do all washes. Your jeans can be super short if you're a bit daring, or they can be longer to get the same look while covering a bit more skin. Slip on pumps to make this look work for evening. During the day, wear it with flat sandals or wedges.
3. White T-Shirt + Boyfriend Jeans
Roomy boyfriend jeans look relaxed and cool with a white t-shirt. Go for all-over volume by wearing your jeans with an oversized tee tucked in and belted, or opt for a more fitted tee. Boyfriend jeans come in a variety of sizes and styles. A super-baggy pair of jeans is just as chic as a pair that's only slightly roomy. They also come in ripped and distressed styles and more clean, polished types -- either look works, depending on how edgy you want to get. Add a heel to lengthen your frame. You can even throw in some structure by topping things off with a blazer.
4. White Tank + Colored Denim
When summer hits, keep cool in white tanks and colored jeans. Your tanks can be cotton or fancier fabrics, such as silk or lace. Because you're wearing white, any color of denim will do, so go bright in bold reds and sunny yellows or keep things subtle in muted pinks and soft greens. Skinny and boot cut styles work here, so pick the shape you prefer.
- InStyle: Found It! Olivia Palermo’s Chic White Top
- Refinery 29: 8 Reasons to Fall in Love With Boyfriend Jeans Again
- MSN: How to Wear Colored Jeans Like a Celebrity
- InStyle: Look of the Day: June 18, 2011
- InStyle: Look of the Day: June 2, 2011
- WhoWhatWear: Stars and Stripes
- Overstock: How to Wear Skinny Jeans
- Hannes Magerstaedt/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images