Nail polish comes in a dazzling array of colors, but sometimes it's impossible to find the shade that's right for you. If you're bored of your same-old nail-polish collection, try creating your own custom colors. Like an artist mixes paint, you can blend nail-polish colors to make bright hues, soft pastels, eye-popping neon tones and metallic shades. With so many brands and colors of polish available, your options are almost endless.
1 Wash out an empty nail-polish bottle or shot glass.
2 Pour your base color into the bottle. This is the main color of your custom nail polish. Use about one-quarter or one-half of a bottle for the base color.
3 Add a secondary color one drop at a time until the polish is the color you want. For example, to make a shiny color, add a few drops of gold or silver polish.
4 Put the lid on the bottle and shake well to blend the colors together. If you mixed the polish in a glass, use a toothpick or cotton swab to combine the colors.
Items you will need
- Nail-polish bottle or shot glass
- Toothpick or cotton swab
- For best results, mix the same nail-polish brands or formulas.
- Add a pinch of glitter if you want a sparkly nail polish.
- If you only want to mix a small amount of polish, you also can use a paper plate or sheet of aluminum foil as a palette.
- Pinnacle Pictures/Photodisc/Getty Images