How to Repair Leaks in an American Standard Gooseneck Kitchen Faucet

by Chris Deziel

If your American Standard gooseneck faucet is leaking, it's a problem you shouldn't put off, because leaks waste water -- driving up your energy bill -- and they can discolor the sink. It's possible for these types of faucets to leak from the base of the spout or the handle, but most of the time, the leak is coming from the spout itself. That's normal for an old faucet -- it means that a rubber part has worn out. You don't need a plumber for this repair; it's surprisingly easy to do yourself.

1. Leaks from the Base of the Spout

1 Turn off the shutoff valves under the sink, and open the faucet to allow water to drain.

2. Leaks from the Base of the Spout

2 Remove the spout if water is leaking from the base. To do this, wrap a rag around the collar at the base; grip the collar with adjustable pliers and turn it counterclockwise. When the collar is loose, unscrew and remove it, and then pull off the spout.

3. Leaks from the Base of the Spout

3 Look for O-rings around the base of the spout or the stem of the faucet housing. Pry them off with a flat-head screwdriver and replace them with new ones. You may have to take them to the hardware store to make sure you buy identical replacements.

4. Leaks from the Base of the Spout

4 Lubricate the new O-rings with plumber's grease and slide them into place. Replace the spout, and screw on the collar.

5. Leaks from the Handle or Spout Tip

1 Turn off the water and unscrew the faucet handle. If yours is a single-handled American Standard model, look for a hex screw under the lever and unscrew it with a hex wrench. If your model has two handles, unscrew each handle with a Phillips screwdriver. Remove the handle and, if there is one, the decorative collar underneath.

6. Leaks from the Handle or Spout Tip

2 Release the valve. Most American Standard single-handle faucets have a disk valve that you release by unscrewing three Phillips screws. Two-handled models have modified compression valves that you unscrew from the valve housing with adjustable pliers.

7. Leaks from the Handle or Spout Tip

3 Replace the rubber seals in the water inlets if yours is a single-handle faucet. Pry out the old ones with a screwdriver and push in identical ones. If your faucet doesn't have seals, and you suspect the valve is faulty, replace it with a new one. You can't fix broken disk valves.

8. Leaks from the Handle or Spout Tip

4 Unscrew the screw holding the rubber washer to the end of a valve in a two-handle faucet. Replace the washer with a new one.

9. Leaks from the Handle or Spout Tip

5 Reassemble the faucet after replacing the worn parts.

Items you will need

  • Rag
  • Adjustable pliers
  • Plumber's grease
  • Hex wrench
  • Phillips screwdriver


  • If the faucet leaks underneath the cabinet, check the connections between the supply hoses and the faucet or between the hoses that connect the handle to the spout. Tighten any connections where you find water is dripping or spraying.
  • The screws on the handles of two-handle faucets are usually hidden under a cap that you have to pry off with a flat-head screwdriver.


  • Be sure the water is off before disassembling the faucet, or you could be scalded.
  • Always make sure you're replacing old parts with identical new ones in the right size.