Weed Eater products contain letters in the model number to identify the type of tool. The TE 400 CXL is a dual-purpose Twist-N-Edge tool that trims horizontally as a line trimmer with a shaft that turns to cut vertically for an edger. Homeowners who use this tool often find themselves often replacing the line. Bulk replacement line is much less expensive than pre-wound spools, but it takes a few more minutes to replace line yourself. Correct loading of the line on the spool allows the tool to operate properly.
1 Slide the switch on your Weed Eater to the "off" position. Set the Weed Eater down to allow it to cool for a few minutes.
2 Pull the tip of a tape measure out to the 3-foot mark. Slide on the lock button and set it on a flat surface, such as a workbench or on the ground.
3 Place the loose end on a spool of .080-inch round trimmer line at the tip of the tape measure. Unwind the line to the other end of the tape measure, and then hold the line with a forefinger and thumb at that point. Repeat this process ten times to pull out 30 feet of line, and then cut it with scissors.
4 Turn the Weed Eater upside down with the trimmer head facing up. Grasp the cap on the trimmer head in one hand and the trimmer line spool with the other hand. Turn the cap in the direction of the arrow on top of the cap to unscrew and remove it.
5 Pull off the small, round line guide ring from the top of the line spool. Pull the spool straight up and off the trimmer head.
6 Remove any remaining line inside the spool by unwinding it. Wipe the trimmer head, spool, line guide ring and cap with a washcloth to remove any grass, dirt and debris.
7 Insert about 1 inch of one end of replacement line into the hole in the center of the spool. Wrap the line around the spool cavity in the direction of the arrow leaving 4 to 8 inches unwound.
8 Thread the unwound line through the center hole of the guide ring and pull it tight into the guide ring slot. Place the spool and guide ring on the trimmer head. Place the cap on the top of the guide ring and tighten it hand tight in the opposite direction of the arrow.
Items you will need
- Tape measure
- .080-inch round trimmer line
- Pre-wound spool (optional)
- Replace trimmer line with a pre-wound spool in the same manner. Remove the tape on the end of the spool, insert it through the guide with about 4 to 8 inches protruding and pull it in the slot. Replace the cap on the trimmer head.
- Weed Eater trimmer line is color-coded by size. The correct line for this model is green.
- Use only round replacement line that is the correct size for your Weed Eater. Larger line or square line does not feed well through the trimmer head and causes stress on the engine. Engines that work too hard cause shorter life of the tool.
- Over tightening of the line trimmer cap can break it and warrant a replacement.
- Wear long pants, a long-sleeved shirt, protective eyewear and closed-toe shoes when operating a Weed Eater. Objects that the line hits can become projectiles and cause harm.
- Keep kids and pets out of your work area to protect them.
- Jupiterimages/BananaStock/Getty Images