Fake gold necklaces can look great when you first buy them, but as they rust they lose their character. However, fake gold is not difficult, expensive or time-consuming to clean and restore back to its original state. Since fake gold is not durable, it can rust over a short period of time, but fortunately all you need to clean fake gold is a tube of toothpaste, water and a paper towel.
1. How to get rust off a fake gold necklace
1 Squirt toothpaste into your hand and coat your necklace in toothpaste, making sure to cover it completely. You may use a toothbrush to cover the necklace with paste if you prefer.
2. How to get rust off a fake gold necklace
2 Scrub the necklace with your fingers or the toothbrush thoroughly, which will take a minute or two depending on the size of the necklace.
3. How to get rust off a fake gold necklace
3 Rinse the necklace in the sink with warm water.
4. How to get rust off a fake gold necklace
4 Gently wipe the necklace dry with your paper towel.
Items you will need
- Sink for water
- Paper towels
- You can use any kind of toothpaste for the cleaning.
- Use a steady stream, but nothing too strong that could cause harm to the necklace.
- Baerbel Schmidt/Digital Vision/Getty Images