Brazilian waxing can keep you smooth for an entire two-week tropical vacation, or help you feel sexier than ever for a special evening with your partner. But Brazilian waxing can also leave you with red, irritated skin along your bikini line. Not only does Brazilian waxing strip delicate skin of the hair that normally protects it from friction, but the process can also pull off tiny pieces of skin, leaving micro-tears behind. Both of these factors can cause irritation and discomfort.
1 Using your finger, gently rub a dime-sized dollop of over-the-counter antibiotic ointment into irritated skin. This will help prevent infection.
2 Once the antibiotic ointment is absorbed fully, apply an equal amount of 1% hydrocortisone cream to the same area.
3 Get dressed after the cream has been fully absorbed. Put on loose, cotton undergarments that allow for airflow to the area.
4 Apply ice to the irritated skin if discomfort continues throughout the day. This will provide temporary relief.
5 Apply aloe gel to the area as many times as needed throughout the day. It will provide a temporary soothing effect.
Items you will need
- Topical antibiotic cream
- 1% hydrocortisone cream
- Loose cotton undergarments
- As antibiotic ointments are for external use only, be careful to keep the cream outside of your body.
- For an extra cooling effect, try storing your aloe in the fridge.
- If you develop an itching or burning sensation, peeling skin, swelling or a fever, call your doctor immediately. If irritation persists for more than a few days, see your doctor.
- Digital Vision./Digital Vision/Getty Images