If you're interested in the benefits of a boxing workout but don't live near a boxing gym, investing in a punching bag for your basement or garage can help you burn calories -- and get rid of a little aggression at the end of a long day. Before you can get swinging, though, you need to pick the right size of punching bag. Also known as a heavy bag, this vital workout tool is available in a variety of sizes.
1 Consider your weight to help determine what size of punching bag is most suitable for you. If you weigh between 140 and 170 pounds, a heavy bag that weighs between 70 and 90 pounds is suitable. People heavier than 170 pounds should use a bag that weighs at least 100 pounds. If you're lighter than 140 pounds, you can try a 60-pound bag, although a 70- to 90-pound bag is still acceptable.
2 Evaluate your punching power, which is typically tied to how much experience you have with boxing. If you punch heavier than most other boxers around the same weight as you, opt for a heavier bag than is suggested. For example, if you weigh 155 pounds but punch extremely hard, choose a 100-pound bag instead of a bag that weighs between 70 and 90 pounds.
3 Decide whether you want a bag that swings considerably or one that remains mostly stationary as you hit it. The lighter the bag, the more it will swing upon impact. Although a swinging bag can help simulate the movement of an opponent, it can also pose a challenge for beginners. If you're new to the sport and want a largely stationary target, opt for a heavier bag.
- If you're unsure about safely hanging your punching bag from the ceiling, buy a heavy bag stand. These stands support the weight of the bag and allow you to change the bag's location as desired.
- If you don't want a heavier bag but aren't partial to your bag swinging, buy a punching bag that you can tie to a heavy object on the floor. This type of bag is common and features a metal ring attached to its base.
- Punching bags are typically between 3 and 4 feet in length. If you wish to incorporate kicks into your workout, opt for a bag that is 5 or 6 feet long.
- Hitting a punching bag is an effective way to burn calories to lose fat. According to the website HealthStatus, a 155-pound person burns 209 calories during 30 minutes of using a punching bag.
- Always protect your hands with hand wraps and gloves before hitting the heavy bag. Failure to do so can lead to damage to your joints and bones and even abrasions on your skin.
- Jupiterimages/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images