Sevin brand dust is a pesticide with the active ingredient carbaryl. You can use it to control insects that infest vegetable, fruit and flower gardens. Sevin dust kills more than 65 different types of insect, including lacebugs, Japanese beetles, ticks, scale insects and aphids. It is important to follow the proper procedure when applying Sevin dust, as it is a harsh chemical that can be dangerous to people and pets. Select a day to apply the Sevin dust when no rain or wind is expected. You don't want the Sevin dust to drift into unwanted areas.
1 Put on a pair of rubber gloves and shake the bottle of Sevin dust.
2 Walk to the back of your garden and start dusting the leaves of the plants with the Sevin dust. You only need a thin layer of dust, but make sure you apply it evenly.
3 Walk your way to the front of the garden while continuing to spread the Sevin dust on the plants.
4 Repeat with another application of Sevin dust one week later if any pests are still present.
Items you will need
- Rubber gloves
- For emergency treatment information, call 800-420-9347, or call Poison Control at 800-222-1222.
- Wash all fruits and vegetables that have been coated with Sevin dust before eating them.
- Keep pets and children away from the garden until the Sevin dust has settled. Sevin dust is harmful to people and animals.
- Do not apply Sevin dust to large trees or use the product indoors.
- Wash hands with soap and water after using.
- Remove and wash clothing after using the product.
- Hemera Technologies/Photos.com/Getty Images