The most utilized fabric in formal attire is quite possibly the most unpredictable and finicky of all fabrics--tulle. With its twofold nature--both airy and elegant--tulle is used to thicken, screen and flare. It is a gauze-like fabric often used as a veil for brides and a tutu for ballerinas. If you've ever been near a bride or ballerina’s dressing room, you’ll know that a steamer is always nearby, because steam is the only thing that can get keep tulle wrinkle-free.
1. Steam the Wrinkles Out
1 Hang your garment on your steamer's hanger pole. If your steamer doesn't have a hanger pole, hang your garment on a closet door or anywhere available that allows you to steam your garment.
2. Steam the Wrinkles Out
2 Pour water into the steaming appliance.
3. Steam the Wrinkles Out
3 Wait approximately 5 to 10 minutes for the water to start evaporating inside the appliance, and steam out the wrinkles with the nozzle apparatus.
4. Pop your Garment in the Dryer
1 Spritz or splash your garment moderately with water.
5. Pop your Garment in the Dryer
2 Turn your dryer dial on low heat for approximately 3 to 5 minutes and throw your garment in the dryer.
6. Pop your Garment in the Dryer
3 Hang your garment in an open space after no more than 5 minutes in the dryer. As it cools, the wrinkles disappear.
7. Iron the Wrinkles Out
1 Fill your clothing iron with water.
8. Iron the Wrinkles Out
2 Turn the dial to steam.
9. Iron the Wrinkles Out
3 Glide the iron over the wrinkles in your tulle without touching the iron to the tulle garment, as if you were using a steaming apparatus.
Items you will need
- Garment steamer
- Clothing dryer
- Water spritz bottle
- Avoid prolonged crinkling of your garment against other items.
- When tulle is not worn, limit its exposure to open air. Keep it stored in plastic covering.
- Avoid steaming your tulle garment near wood. Steam will ruin the wood finish.
- Do not place tulle inside a tumbler dryer on high heat or for longer than 5 minutes; it will make the fabric permanently crinkled and brittle.
- Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images