Apply Dylox to lawns to control root and surface feeding pests.

About Dylox Insecticide

by Amanda Flanigan

Dylox insecticide is a selective insecticide marketed by Bayer and used to control various pests that lurk in the soil of your lawn, garden and flowerbed. Before using Dylox -- or any other chemical for that matter -- familiarize yourself with the product, reading the entire label and following the instructions and warnings on the bottle. This prevents damage to your landscape, increases the effectiveness of the Dylox insecticide and -- most important -- keeps your family safe from the toxic ingredients.


Dylox is a organophosphate insecticide available in granular, powder and liquid form. It works by killing the pest when it ingests the chemical or comes in contact with the pesticide. Dylox contains the active ingredient Trichlorfon, which was registered in 1960. It is marketed by Bayer Environmental Science.

Pests Controlled

Dylox insecticide controls a wide array of pests living in the soil of your lawn. White grubs, weevils, sod webworms, chinch bugs, armyworms, stink bugs, bagworms, cutworms, beetles, chafers and mole crickets are a few of the insects controlled with Dylox.


Applying Dylox insecticide varies depending on the form used and the pest targeted. For example, Dylox in granular form must be applied with a broadcast or drop-type spreader at a rate of 3 pounds per 1,000 square feet of turf for root-feeding insects such as mole crickets, grubs and weevils. For surface feeding pests like cutworms, armyworms and webworms, use 2 pounds of Dylox granular per 1,000 square feet of turf.

Liquid Dylox insecticide must be mixed with a minimum of 2 gallons of water before using. However, the exact amount of insecticide needed depends on the pest you are trying to control. Grubs, chinch bugs, weevils, mole crickets and beetles need 6.9 ounces of Dylox per 1,0000 square feet, while webworms, sodworms, armyworms and cutworms require 4.6 ounces per 1,000 square feet.


Dylox is toxic to humans and poisoning often occurs when the chemical is absorbed through the skin, inhaled or ingested, according to the Missouri Botanical Garden website. Always wear protective clothing -- long sleeves, pants, rubber gloves and safety glasses -- when working with Dylox. Keep children and pests off and away from the treated area until it has been watered and allowed to dry thoroughly. Dylox is also highly toxic to birds, wildlife and fish. According to the Cornell University Cooperative Extension Pesticide Management Education Program website, Trichlorfon -- the active ingredient in Dylox -- has been shown to cause fetal abnormalities in hamsters, mice and rats, so err on the side of caution and keep pregnant and nursing women away from this insecticide.

About the Author

Amanda Flanigan began writing professionally in 2007. Flanigan has written for various publications, including WV Living and American Craft Council, and has published several eBooks on craft and garden-related subjects. Flanigan completed two writing courses at Pierpont Community and Technical College.

Photo Credits

  • Thomas Northcut/Lifesize/Getty Images